CALL FOR ENTRIES
Throughout history, humans have marked their bodies with tattoos. These body modifications fall into three broad categories: purely decorative (with no specific meaning); symbolic (with a specific meaning pertinent to the wearer); pictorial (a depiction of a specific person or item). These permanent designs — sometimes plain, sometimes elaborate, always personal — have served as amulets, status symbols, declarations of love, signs of religious beliefs, adornments and even forms of punishment. The ‘body art’ culture and practice of tattooing has become acceptable and accessible for people of all trades and levels of society.
As a special event part of the annual ‘Exposed: Nudes in Art’ exhibition (March 2 – April 26), Litmus Gallery is pleased and delighted to include this year at the Friday, April 6: 6-9 pm wine reception, a special ‘Live Art 2018’ show highlighting body tattoos.
Saturday, March 11: Participant entry information must be received by this date
Saturday, March 17: Participant notified by this date if juried into the ‘Live Art 2018’ show
Friday, April 6: Wine reception 6-9pm / Participants encouraged to be present 6-9 pm if possible / Judging 6:45 pm – 7:45 pm followed by awards at 8:00 pm
This juried show is to showcase outstanding original tattoo body art. For selecting participants and judging participants for awards, consideration will be given to how ascetically the tattoo(s) relate(s) to the participant’s body. Also, consideration will be given to how multiple tattoos flow and create a body of work and the story they might tell. It is open to participants who are 18 years or older. For this show participants may submit for consideration up to three (3) current photos that show their body tattoo(s). One photo must be a full body photo and the other two can be of a specific area of the body or of specific tattoos. No total nudity is allowed and participants must wear a minimum of swimwear in the photos submitted and must wear a minimum of swimwear during the judging and presentation of awards. There is no fee for applying to be considered for inclusion in this show. A fee is collected only from those juried into the show.
Participants who wish to apply should:
- Ensure that photo is a separate jpg image (total of 3 images) and that the image is named as follows: participantname_tattoo.jpg (for example: JoeSmith_tattoo.jpg). If your image is not named correctly, we cannot consider you for the show. Image must not exceed 150 KB. Attach photo images.
- Complete the “Exhibition Entry Form” with all information requested.
- Applying to be in this show indicates your understanding and agreement with all rules and specifications.
Rules and Specifications
- Required: On April 6, participants are encouraged to be present 6-9 pm if possible. Judging will be ongoing from 6:45 pm to 7:45 pm followed by the presentation of the awards at 8:00 PM. Litmus Gallery & Studios reserves the right to refuse the participation in the show of any participant whose submitted photos were not current, did not accurately depict the participant, or is deemed inappropriate by the Litmus Gallery Jury committee.
- Presentation Specifications:
- No total nudity is allowed and participants must wear a minimum of swimwear during the judging and presentation of awards.
- Participants not complying with theses specifications will not be accepted for the show.
- Fees: For those selected to participate, there is an entry fee of $10. The fee will be collected at the time the participant arrives at the show on April 6. Only cash, checks, or money orders payable to James Fatata are accepted.
- Deadline: For those wishing to submit art to be considered, Litmus Gallery & Studios must receive an entry form no later than the deadline listed.
- Liability: Submitting an entry form shall imply an agreement on the part of the participant to the conditions set forth in this prospectus.
- Awards: Two $75 prizes for ‘Best in Show’ will be awarded by the show’s juror(s).